One for the morning pit stoppers or just the days you cba! Quick fix supermarket lunches and snacks…
Base your meal/snack on your protein:
- Cooked meat – demi is great as you can ask for a specific amount but pre-cooked package stuff like mini fillets, beef or seafood are just as good (I love a pack of king prawns).
- Tinned/no drain tuna – ring pull tin or plastic pot, just don’t forget to recycle.
- Boiled eggs – the big lads such as Asda do a pot with a couple of pre-cooked and peeled boiled eggs in. Usually located by the sandwiches.
- Greek yogurt – single serving rather than family tub ensure portion control on the go and limits waste.
- Protein bars – not the breakfast bars that claim to have protein unless you’re happy to truly read the labels and see if there is decent amount in there. I mean a Grenade bar or a warrior bar
- Beef jerky – lasts a while and totally satisfying.
Select your side. Aim for a quality side if you’re looking at a main meal or need a more wholesome snack:
- Salad box
- Wholegrain microwave rice pack
- Wholegrain cous cous
- Raw veg – carrots, peppers, cucumber, etc
- Fruit – apples, banana, berries, etc
- Wholegrain cereal – High bran for example, great for fibre content too
- Graze box snacks – supermarket own brand are just as good and cheaper.
Need a drink?
Ideally you want water or maybe a teeny bit of dilutey juice but may be you’re hankering for a fizzy drink. Aim for the sugar free options and try to avoid fruit juices.
Want a bit of something sweet?
If the fruit doesn’t cut it and the protein bar just isn’t an option have a look down the sweets aisle. Look at the snack size options, see what you fancy, make sure it fits your calories and your 80:20 rule for the day.
If you’re veggie/vegan then there are some great options available for you too. From refridgerated soups, and tinned bean salads to fresh produce – I won’t pretend to be an expert in this because I’m not but it is something I will be looking into more in future.
I hope this makes your morning or lunch time supermarket dash easier to manage and helps you hit your daily goals.
Small, consistent changes are key.
Leave a Reply